Loaded crunchy French toast
Nothing says weekend breakfast like a stack of French toast. The secret ingredient in this recipe is crushed cornflakes, which give the toast a crunchy exterior. Top with your favourite garnishes and pair with a strong coffee and the Saturday paper – it’s like your favourite café in the comfort of home.
- 8 slices of brioche bread (2 per serve)
- 80g butter
- 5 eggs
- 200ml cream
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups crushed cornflakes (I like the crunchy nut variety)
- Ricotta with lemon zest
- Honey or maple syrup
- Seeds and nuts (pistachio nuts are great with French toast)
- Chocolate sauce and shaved chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Combine eggs, cream and cinnamon in a bowl and whisk well.
- In a separate bowl, roughly crush your cornflakes.
- Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture, giving it a quick soak on both sides (don’t saturate it or it will fall apart).
- Immediately press the dipped bread into the cornflakes, turning once to coat both sides.
- Heat ¼ of the butter in a pan. Once the butter is bubbling slightly, place two pieces of the bread in the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides. Remove from pan and place on lined tray.
- Place baking tray into pre-heated oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Top with your preferred toppings and serve.